A MOD for the future - maybe?

Post any general problems, information or issues on ModphpBB3 in here.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

A MOD for the future - maybe?

Post by uk_martin »

Hi

You may be interested in what's going on here - http://mpsmod.com/viewtopic.php?p=8214#8214

It's a project which hopefully will result in a final release soon of a MOD for phpBB3. What it will do is to revolutionise the "Profiles" section of phpBB to look something more like this - http://mpsmod.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2 - which everyone now recognises as the "norm" layout in most social networking sites. It would be quite a good add-on to ModphpBB3 in my opinion as it would bring a traditional product way more up to date in an area which new users would be looking for.

Ii hope that you agree with this and can consider this for a future version of ModphpBB3 when the MPS Mod is released.

Thanks
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Re: A MOD for the future - maybe?

Post by cisco007 »

that sounds like such a nice feature, I saw something like that on another site, it was named something like, "fully customizable profile fields" it looked pretty nice, can't wait till this comes out!
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

There was a dev mod on phpBB that was invision style profiles.

I'll be honest and say the social profile stuff on a forum doesn't really interest me too much personally. Unless you have a forum full of people that will use it, I don't see much call for it.. but then I am a miserable git! :D
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Post by cisco007 »

you are right it won't be worth unless you know it's gonna be used, but it looks cool though!
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I admin over at an IPB forum and there are a few profile add-ons there (as well as the already default social profile) One called 'My Videos' where you add your favourite videos from youtube. The thing is, nobody really spends a great deal of time on anybody elses profiles, so there isn't too much point of it.
cisco007
Staff
Staff

Post by cisco007 »

Unless maybe there is a new thread called pimp my profile or check out my profile page to let them know that there is a option like that on the board, or put it up on the announcements!
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

I wonder if the profiles are not in much use at the moment simply because they don't have much to offer the users? (kind of, if you know the box will be empty, why open the lid?)

Make a feature of the profiles, especially in youth / community based (rather than tech support) kind of environments, and I think that the take-up will be better.

Also bear in mind that what you see on mpsmod.com is their legacy phpBB2 version. Their phpBB3 MOD promises to be a lot better still.
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I mean social profiles in general, not those that are running on phpBB. If you look on a lot of IPB forums that have the 'social style' profiles, there will be a huge amount of members that haven't used it at all.

I see the VBulletin 3.8.1 now has social groups too.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that phpBB3 has a mod or two for this option to keep up with other platforms, I just personally feel it's a waste of time, but as you said, I'm sure youth/community based forums will get more benefit.
GirlieGirl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by GirlieGirl »

I like it. Theres a whole psychological science about people 'personalizing' things. I doubt I can teach it you here but the bottom line is, folks dig it. Theyll pay more for personalized stuff. Theyll go further out of their way with personalized stuff. And theyll hang on to personalized stuff longer. Its just our wacky human nature.