bbCode Conversion - Is it possible?

General topics relating to phpBB3 to be posted in here.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

bbCode Conversion - Is it possible?

Post by uk_martin »

bbCode Converter

I've just succeeded in converting the database from my old phpBB2 based forum to a plain vanilla phpBB3 installation, as the first step to transferring across to a Modphpbb3 installation:

old: http://www.brummiesfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184
new: http://www.brummiesfans.com/vanilla/vie ... ?f=8&t=184

All went well, except for some bbCode. There is a lot of "bespoke" bbCode in the phpBB2 version of the board, due I think to the inclusion of a WYSIWYG editor which wrote its own bbCode unique for itself. I'm intending to add a WYSIWYG editor eventually to my final installation so codes like etc aren't too much of a bother. Of more concern is that the bbCode that I've seen for alignment on the new phpBB3 script, is as simple as [left]
etc, whereas on the older site of mine, the bbCode looks like [align=left] etc, with, most worryingly, a [/align] closing tag.

Is there a converter that can go through the database to convert old bbCode to new bbCode? Or will I have to go through the entire site to correct every posting manually?

Thanks
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bbCode Conversion - Is it possible?

Post by LDM »

Good work on the convertion mate.

Remember to fully check the posts as by default install phpBB3 has a character limit on posts to 6000, which needs changing in ACP post settings. Sometimes, people convert their old board without changing this first (to no character limits) so when they convert, they find long posts may have text missing. I mentioned it in another thread, so remember to change this anyway for future posts if all your post content is there.

I am not sure of a bbcode converter. If you don't have too many posts, it is easy enough to add the bbcodes in ACP and just edit your current posts. If your forum has loads of posts, I would just edit the new posts or just edit when you see them while on the phpBB3 board.
uk_martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by uk_martin »

LDM wrote:Good work on the convertion mate.
Thanks, but the work has just begun. Can't wait to get stuck in to the creation of a phpBB3 Style to bring up to date the one that I created for the "old" site. :shock:
LDM wrote:Remember to fully check the posts as by default install phpBB3 has a character limit on posts to 6000, which needs changing in ACP post settings.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I didn't know that, but forewarned is forearmed. :)
LDM wrote:I am not sure of a bbcode converter. If you don't have too many posts, it is easy enough to add the bbcodes in ACP and just edit your current posts. If your forum has loads of posts, I would just edit the new posts or just edit when you see them while on the phpBB3 board.
OK, I'll bite the bullet and see what needs doing as soon as I have TinyMCE installed, as I think some of the bbCode is reintroduced with that.

Onto another thing, the plain vanilla phpBB3 doesn't have a Gallery. My old site did. Is there a Gallery converter from the old Gallery to the Modphpbb3 set-up?

Thanks

Martin
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LDM »

I am pretty sure (depending on the gallery used on phpBB2) you can convert over to nicks gallery at flying-bits.org
It is the most widely used gallery on phpBB3. I am using it here (click Gallery at the top for demo)