Urgent :: My site is going to be shut down!

Post any general problems, information or issues on ModphpBB3 in here.
ndrewgrg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urgent :: My site is going to be shut down!

Post by ndrewgrg »

I have a modphpbb3 portal page installed in my webserver.
I have been getting annoying spam emails from my Board stating the following mail:-

Code: Select all

A new user has registered on your board "Gandaki Portal: ConnectingGandakians..". 
User details: 
Username: EdwinKenyon
E-mail: edwinkenyon1964@gmail.com
Registered on: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:19 pm  
-- 
Thanks, The Management

Note: I get around 40-50 of these mails everyday.

The main confusion is that, when I see my Member area, these nicknames arent registered nor are listed on the pending user list. I am sure that they are spammers because they register in all sort of names. Where does all these 40-50 members who daily register in my site go? They arent listed anywhere in my site.

Recently, I got a warning from my Webhosting company that if this thing continues to occur, they are bound to shut down my site.

Please give me a solution... :confused:
LDM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Urgent :: My site is going to be shut down!

Post by LDM »

That is spam bots seen accross many popular forums of any platform.

An easy solution is add some protection and your host will be happy again. The bots are picking on your forum as it may appear on a list somewhere, etc.

Read this post HERE it will answer your questions about bot spam and give you many solutions. Add as much protection as you can there, it sounds like your forum is getting hit hard with them.

(Edit: Have just seen on your site that you have removed the link back to us and of phpBB. You won't get any support removing the simple links in the footer)